School Parental Involvement Policy
At Pleasant Hill Elementary School, we believe that full parental involvement is paramount. Pleasant Hill Elementary School strives to implement the following:
· Pleasant Hill Elementary School will include a school-parent compact agreement.
· Pleasant Hill Elementary School will notify parents of the Title I Compact in an understandable and uniform format and, to the extent practicable, in a language the parents can understand. The compact will be made available to the local community and updated periodically to meet the changing needs of parents and the school. The Title I Compact will be included on our school webpage. Using Google translator, parents can access the Compact in their native language with a click of a button.
· Pleasant Hill Elementary School will provide full opportunities for the participation of parents with limited English proficiency, parents with disabilities, and parents of migratory children, including providing information and school reports in an understandable and uniform format and including alternative formats upon request and, to the extent practicable, in language parents understand.
· Pleasant Hill Elementary School will build its own and the parent’s capacity for strong parental involvement, in order to ensure effective involvement of parents and to support a partnership among the school, parents, and the community to improve student academic achievement.
· Pleasant Hill Elementary School will be governed by the following statutory definition of parental involvement, and will carry out programs, activities, and procedures in accordance with this definition:
Parental involvement means the participation of parents in regular, two-way, and meaningful communication involving student academic learning and other school activities, including ensuring—
(A) that parents play an integral role in assisting their child’s learning;
(B) that parents are encouraged to be actively involved in their child’s education at school;
(C) that parents are full partners in their child’s education and are included, as appropriate, in decision-making and on advisory committees to assist in the education of their child;
DESCRIPTION OF HOW PLEASANT HILL ELEMENTARY SCHOOL WILL IMPLEMENT PARENTAL INVOLVEMENT POLICY COMPONENTS
1. Pleasant Hill Elementary School will involve parents in the joint development of its school parental involvement plan. We will do this by administering parent surveys for students in the Title Reading program.
2. Pleasant Hill Elementary School will involve parents in the process of school review and improvement. The School Improvement Plan (SIP) will be posted on the school website. The principal will review SIP objectives annually at a PTA (Parent Teacher Association) meeting. The principal will also include SIP objectives within school newsletters. Parents will have the opportunity to provide feedback as well.
3. Pleasant Hill Elementary School will hold an annual meeting to engage parents and foster participation in Title I programs. The meeting will be at a time convenient for parents and will offer a flexible number of additional parental involvement meetings, so that as many parents as possible are able to attend. The school will invite all parents of children participating in the Title I reading program to this meeting, and will encourage them to attend, by providing multiple invitations sent home in newsletters, flyers, and phone calls. These parent nights will provide parents with the literacy training needed to help their students be successful in Title I and classroom reading programs.
4. Pleasant Hill Elementary School will provide parents of participating children a parent permission slip that includes a description of the program, the forms of academic assessment used to measure children’s progress, and the proficiency levels students are expected to meet.
5. Pleasant Hill Elementary School will provide opportunities for regular meetings for parents to participate, as appropriate, in decisions about the education of their children. School staff will work with parents to schedule parent/teacher conferences. Staff will also conduct written and/or phone communication with parents in Title I programs.
6. Pleasant Hill Elementary School will provide each parent an individual student report about the performance of their child on the Illinois assessment. Annual ISAT parent reports are sent home when made available by the state. ACCESS parent reports are sent home with ELL students in a timely manner. Since Title I reading students are also monitored consistently for progress, reports of progress can also be sent home.
7. Pleasant Hill Elementary School works to develop relationships with community-based organizations and businesses, including faith-based organizations, in parental involvement activities.
* * * * *
This School Parental Involvement Policy has been agreed upon with parents of children participating in Title I programs, as evidenced by the agenda for Title I Parent Night.
A copy of the Pleasant Hill Elementary School Parent Involvement Policy is available in the school office upon request. It can also be found on the school website.